The Story
The neighborhood grew from Rapid City's 1885 Boulevard Addition, anchored by the unusually wide West Boulevard with its landscaped central median. As the town boomed as the commercial gateway to the Black Hills gold fields, its merchant and professional class built here — the oldest surviving house dates to 1878. First listed on the National Register in 1974 (133 buildings), a 1995 boundary increase expanded it to 182 acres and 946 resources, spanning Queen Anne, Foursquare, Craftsman, and Colonial Revival homes from 1878-1945.
Surprising Facts
→ West Boulevard was platted at an unusual 190 feet wide, with a landscaped central median.
→ The district holds two former hospitals that merged in 1973 to form Rapid City Regional Hospital.
→ Edge-of-district Wilson Park was built in 1940 as a WPA jobs project, with a stone pergola and ice rink.